colour pop pen holders

Remember when I bought those limited edition Andy Warhol soup tins? Well, I’ve made my way through three of them already (mostly begrudgingly – there aren’t many ways to dress up tinned tomato soup) and here they are, acting as glorified pen and paintbrush holders. I managed to avoid spilling any soup onto the tins by wrapping them in tea towels while pouring and washing them. I also ran the back of a spoon around the rims to push them up and stop them from cutting into things (like stray fingers and hands for example). Now these little bits of everyday Pop Art make for quite the colourful additions to my desk.
Yes, that is a cat pen. I love it when friends bring me back gifts from Japan.

1. Tiffany October 19, 2013

This is such a smart and colourful idea! Love it!

Tiffany x

2. kit and nancy. October 19, 2013

i have so much love for this post. your photos are pop-tastic. andy would be proud, even though my heart belongs to roy. 🙂 xx

• soph // and other things October 20, 2013

Thanks! These were taken on my new camera, and I love how they turned out. I think Roy will always tip the scales for me too, but there's no reason why they can't live in harmony 😉

3. RDYN! October 19, 2013

What? I didn't know they sold them, I would have bought a plentiful, and it's great how you remembered to create a safer edge… You could have still had some soup anyway. Not that I'm a fan of tinned soup.

• soph // and other things October 20, 2013

I have to admit I did cut myself when I got a bit overzealous cleaning one of the tins. Lesson learned haha.

4. Kelli / Fog and Forest October 19, 2013

Love the tins, very cute!

5. Paprika October 19, 2013

I love setting out my arty thins nicely in cans and pretty cups! love the style!xx

6. Matthew Pike October 19, 2013

They look so cool, I need to get some before they're gone.

Buckets & Spades

7. LRB October 19, 2013

Looks so good!

8. Erika Raxworthy October 19, 2013

They look so great! I haven't been able to bring myself to open mine but this is definitely pushing me closer. And props for no spillage. I would be so paranoid.

• soph // and other things October 20, 2013

I definitely had to work my way up to it. The labels hold up pretty well too. Even with some water seepage they still dried up OK.

9. Cëe October 20, 2013

Aw, that's so cute!!!

10. jamie-lee October 20, 2013

I'm not quite sure I would have even bothered to eat the soup! I love how you've used them practically, they look fantastic

• soph // and other things October 21, 2013

I contemplated pouring them down the sink but that whole "there are people in the world who can't afford to eat" mentality prevailed in the end.

11. Epic Thread October 22, 2013

These are so flippin' cute. I want to go buy some soup and eat it just so I can make these.
    If you have a moment, I'd love for you to check out this contest where you could win one of my art prints!

12. leafskeletons October 22, 2013

Absolutely love this! Not sure if I'd be able to choose between the tins or the cat pen if I had to! Both are so cute! x

13. Ronja Lotte August 24, 2014

Great idea…I linked this as a part of my "best of DIY design style: pop art". You can read the post here: http://nur-noch.blogspot.de/2014/08/best-of-diy-design-style-pop-art.html (english and german)