gatsby? what gatsby?

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like they’ve been waiting forever for Baz Luhrmann’s The Great Gatsby to be released? We were teased with a trailer around this time last year, then it was slated for a December release, and then it got pushed back to May etc. Because I’m super impatient, the other day I watched the 1974 version of the film to sate my appetite for all things Gatsby related. While it stays true to the novel, I’ve always felt that something was amiss with this version of the film. Somewhere along the line that feeling you get when reading the F. Scott Fitzgerald novel was lost in the production. Plus there’s something about Mia Farrow’s performance as Daisy that I find grating. Thankfully though, the costume and set design is nothing short of brilliant.

[Images via Portable]

1. Patricia Picard April 12, 2013

I totally understand you! It feels like forever and I am glad to see I am not the only one. I think that the trailer is absolutely fabulous, I just love the mix of the 20's and JayZ hahaha. Cant wait! I should watch the old movie too!

Olive xox

2. Carolyn April 12, 2013

Oh I cannot contain my anticipation about Baz Luhrmann's adaptation. Everything from the costumes to the music seem absolutely perfect!

• soph (owl vs. dove) April 13, 2013

Can't wait to see what Baz has done with it. Hopefully it's more Romeo + Juliet/Moulin Rouge rather than 'Australia' haha.

3. A Perfect Prism April 12, 2013

It feels like FOREVER!!! The wait, no doubt, will be totally worthwhile. Jay Z + Prada costumes = heaven!

4. Rachel, Cold Knees April 12, 2013

I quite liked this one, though yes maybe it was lacking something.. I hope with all this anticipation the new version doesn't disappoint!x

5. Carolin April 13, 2013

i'm feeling the same. i have to say, i first got interested in fitzgerald, when i watched the film "midnight in paris". then i started reading gatsby last summer and was so happy to hear that there would be a film in december. i loved the book and since then i am waiting and waiting. normally i do not watch trailers, because when i know all the scenes, the movie won't be that exciting anymore, but i cannot stop listening to the soundtrack and leo is such a great choice for gatsby.

• soph (owl vs. dove) April 13, 2013

Oh I loved the literary references in Midnight in Paris (I want to watch it again now that you've mentioned it). And yes! Leo! Swoon!

6. Mat April 14, 2013

i didn't know there was another in production, nice

7. Angela April 29, 2013

Yohave NO IDEA how excited I am about the new Baz version! Hurry up!! Hahaha.