reminiscing: versailles

After watching Farewell, My Queen at the French Film Festival the other day, I’ve had all things French and Versailles-related on the mind. The very next day I watched Sofia Coppola’s Marie Antoinette, whose frothy cinematography was a stark contrast to the perceived realness of Farewell, My Queen. Then I started going through photos from my trip to Europe in 2011 (I can’t believe it’s been nearly two years – it feels like yesterday). I realised that at the time I only shared a snippet of the photos I took at Versailles. So here are a few more photos from my day there to give you a case of wanderlust or cause you to reminisce about your own past travels.

1. Maria March 25, 2013

Love these photos! When I visited Versailles it was so packed, I could hardly take any photos and these make me long to go back.

• soph (owl vs. dove) March 26, 2013

I went later on in the day, but it was still pretty busy. I know what you mean about taking photos though. If you stopped too long it was almost like you were holding up everyone behind you! I have to admit I cropped all the random people out in the photo of the Hall of Mirrors haha.

2. Farrah March 26, 2013

Hopefully I'll be there in late May this makes me excited!!

3. Toni March 26, 2013

blue and gold! what a decadent combination 🙂

• soph (owl vs. dove) March 26, 2013

And there were red and gold rooms, and green and gold rooms… basically the whole theme of Versailles is "and gold"

4. Emma March 26, 2013

So gorgeous! I went there in November and it was crazy busy as well, but I'm sure far less than it would be in the Summer. I wish I had gotten to see the gardens, but we ran out of time. That movie has been on my to-watch list for ages, maybe I'll get around to it this weekend!

• soph (owl vs. dove) March 26, 2013

European summer crowds are just something else! During my trip we'd play a game to see who could get a photo of monuments etc with the least amount of people in it. I managed to get a photo of Stone Henge with no people in it. Success! haha

5. Rachel, Cold Knees March 26, 2013

Gorgeous, I've yet to actually go to Versailles, I really need to put it on my list of places to go in France..x

6. eliza March 27, 2013

How beautiful, Versailles is just amazing. So decadent. Did you enjoy Farewell, My Queen? I'm going to see it this weekend, looking forward to it!

• soph (owl vs. dove) March 27, 2013

I did enjoy it although I felt the ending was a bit abrupt (you'll know what I mean when you see it).

• eliza March 29, 2013

I have only just seen your post on the film below haha, I'm silly. The costumes look amazing.

7. Mat March 27, 2013

looks like a place of wonder, so grand. i only know it from films

8. LRB March 28, 2013

Such a treasure, magnificient!

@littleredbookxo

9. Selene April 3, 2013

just discovered your blog…and i love it!

selene over the pond

10. Victoria Berezhna April 5, 2013

I literally cannot wait to go this summer. I've been to Paris a few times, but we somehow never found the space in our trip to visit the marvellous palace. This time I definitely will – it looks like a fairytale.

I hope you enjoyed your trip, I find myself reminiscing upon my travels so much lately.