diy paper pinhole camera

My friend in London sent me this DIY paper pinhole camera kit a few weeks ago, and I’ve only recently gotten around to assembling it. After realising that a plain old glue stick wasn’t going to cut it, despite the camera being made from ‘just paper’, a tube of multigrip glue was purchased to make sure that this camera was going to be super solid. As a camera building novice, I did have some hair-tearing-out moments thanks to a few instructions that were open to interpretation but as you can see I got the job done in the end. All that’s left now is to load it with film and test it out! Anyone got any tips for using a pinhole camera?
For those interested, this DIY camera kit was purchased from Urban Outfitters.

1. fhenny August 2, 2012

this looks so adorable!

xoxo
    style frontier

2. Rachel August 2, 2012

Oh, this is awesome – I really need to get my hands on this kit.

• soph (owl vs. dove) August 2, 2012

Not sure if it's available online, but I'm thinking in store would be the best bet.

3. Mat August 2, 2012

i remember making one at college years ago, we had to stay so still to take photographs. i remember people kept walking past so we have blurs all over it. nice one

• soph (owl vs. dove) August 2, 2012

Thought that might be the case! Thinking maybe using it for landscapes and a few fun portrait experiments.

4. Abbie August 2, 2012

This is so cute!

5. Rachel, Cold Knees August 2, 2012

I saw these in Urban Outfitters, I think I'll wait to see how yours come out before deciding, it certainly looks very pretty though! xx

6. agnieszka August 2, 2012

it's the cutest camera i've ever seen

7. Flapjack Melody August 2, 2012

So cute, this is such a cool crafty idea..!

Thanks for sharing,

FJM

8. Hannah Percyowl August 2, 2012

I've been wanting a true pinhole camera… I would say keep it steady!
    I'll be very interested to see the results.

9. Simple Sophie August 2, 2012

Wow that's such a cool idea and cute design! Good luck with using it, I gather they can be quite fiddly but with a bit of patience and experimentation I'm sure you'll master it! Hope you'll post some of your results πŸ™‚ ox

simplesophie.com

10. The Mint Mode August 2, 2012

Woahh, this brings back memories of my photography class where we made one of these – although mine was nowhere near as cute. It's been so long so I don't have many tips but I remember setting mine down on a park bench/on the ground and getting some pretty sharp shots out of it.

• soph (owl vs. dove) August 4, 2012

Thanks for those tips anyway! It seems like steady hands or a solid base is the best bet for sharp shots.

11. Sharmaine Ruth August 2, 2012

oh my gosh! i've always wanted to make one! it looks sooo cool!!!

<3 Sharmaine Ruth
    underpeachtrees.blogspot.com

12. a. August 2, 2012

I've never used one so I can't help you out there, sorry!
    But what a cute idea, I don't think I'd trust my handy work to put one together.
    Hopefully it all works out.

13. Kiara Michelle King August 3, 2012

This is super super super cool! I'd love to know how this thing works, and I am really looking forward to the results. And a huge congratulations of having the patience to put it together – a notable achievement I'd say!

• soph (owl vs. dove) August 4, 2012

Building it actually ended up being a bit of a crash course in learning how cameras work haha. Pinhole cameras are basically just long exposure cameras so using it will be an interesting experience.

14. Josephine Pearl August 3, 2012

Love the pattern on this, can't wait to see what results you get from it πŸ™‚

Jo. x

15. Maria August 3, 2012

This is so cool, can't wait to see the results! My photographer housemate had to make pinhole cameras out of everything for her course (including fruit and beer cans!) so I will have to show her this one πŸ™‚

swansandlists.blogspot.co.uk

16. Patricia Picard August 3, 2012

Hahahah! This camera is so pretty and I am sure that it hides hard work! I really like those pictures with the world map background, so colorful!
    XOX

leslistesdolive.blogspot.ca

• soph (owl vs. dove) August 4, 2012

I thought the map background would be fitting considering it did travel half way around the world to get to me πŸ™‚

17. bronwyns August 3, 2012

I'm so glad you liked it! I was tempted to buy one for myself too to add to my growing camera collection but after hearing how hard it was to put together. I think i'll just wait. Plus i'm pretty sure if you take your lens of your diana its a pinhole right? I may have made that up. Either way good luck with the photos! Can't wait to see them!

• soph (owl vs. dove) August 4, 2012

'sif I wouldn't like it silly! In hindsight it's actually quite doable. It's just the fiddly bits that get a bit tricky. A few more pictures in the instructions wouldn't go astray though. My Diana Mini doesn't have detachable lenses, but I think that may be the case for your normal one (or at least, you can get pinhole attachments yadda yadda). We can hijack the group Skype sesh tomorrow lol.

18. The Uncool Kid August 4, 2012

this is the most charming and adorable thing I've seen in a while πŸ™‚

19. Lizzie~ August 4, 2012

Haha this camera is brilliant – it's so cute, the hair-tearing moments were worth it!

20. nicole August 5, 2012

IT'S SO CUTE AND FLORAL AND CUTE?
    Did I mention cute?