vintage autograph albums

128 year old autograph books belonging to some great great (maybe another great?) relatives. I posted a sneak peek of these on my Instagram over the weekend. It’s such a trip to read through all the pages, especially at how ‘proper’ the messages are. I don’t think I’ve ever written anything as thoughtful to my friends. Ever.

1. Rachel, Cold Knees February 28, 2012

these are gorgeous! just the front covers of the books themselves are a work of art. <3

2. Mat February 28, 2012

what a find, nice to see someone from the (far) past from your own family

• soph (owl vs. dove) March 1, 2012

Definitely. It's also nice to have a bit of context for the messages, since most times when you pick these things up in antique stores etc you don't have those back stories.

3. beautiful, my Mum bought me one similar to these from the lifeline bookfest recently. Though it doesn't have an inside cover like yours!

• soph (owl vs. dove) March 1, 2012

Oh wow! That would've been some find. All I came across at Bookfest were multiple copies of the Da Vinci Code and Twilight hahahaha.

4. Helen February 28, 2012

How wonderful, what a lovely thing to find

5. Her Persona February 28, 2012

these are so cool. how historical

6. alexis [amgoorie] February 28, 2012

Oh soph this is wonderful! What a lovely treasure to keep! xx

7. Magali February 28, 2012

These are just precious! Definitely collector's items, & I think since they're from your family they hold even more sentimental value. πŸ™‚

8. Tara February 28, 2012

Amazing, such beautiful handwriting πŸ™‚

9. PinkBow February 28, 2012

Loved these on instagram too, so so amazing. What great finds.

10. Tara Bliss February 28, 2012

This gave me goosebumps! πŸ™‚

11. Charlotte. February 28, 2012

Those are beautiful! I absolutely love reading old letters and postcards, but I've never seen anything like this before!

12. Blithely Unaware February 29, 2012

The handwriting is SO beautiful, it's such a shame that people don't make the effort these days.

I've got an old autograph book of my mum's but it's not as old as this.

Such treasures.

xox

• soph (owl vs. dove) March 1, 2012

I remember I was given a calligraphy set as a kid and thought it was so lame. But now I'm like WHY DIDN'T I MASTER THE ART WHILE I WAS YOUNG – I could have major skills by now haha.

13. sparklesness February 29, 2012

Handwriting really is a dying art.

My grandpa found his fathers old flight log book not too long ago. That was so interesting looking at the different places he'd been, and the penmanship was beautiful

• soph (owl vs. dove) March 1, 2012

How wonderful! The penmanship is definitely something else. With these I think I went from looking at the covers, to looking at the penmanship, and THEN reading all the messages haha

14. Bec February 29, 2012

Wow I love these. How amazing that they've survived all this time πŸ™‚

• soph (owl vs. dove) March 1, 2012

My dad's surprisingly got a big collection of stuff like this, handed down throughout the years. Sometimes I think it borders on hoarding haha

15. b. March 2, 2012

This is such a very special find, and the fact that these books come from your own family must have touched your heart in a beautiful way…

I've always thought treasures like those become more and more precious as time goes by !

16. head over heels March 3, 2012

wow these are pretty….and the handwriting is amazing! x

17. Michelle's Style File March 3, 2012

These are beautiful!
    Michelle

18. Patricia Iacob March 3, 2012

Cambridge bag giveaway on http://www.patriciaiacob.com/2012/03/giveway-cambridge-bag/

19. Emma March 4, 2012

Oh wow, these are absolutely gorgeous — the covers, those messages, that handwriting!

It's posts like these that make me hate my childish scrawl…

20. c. March 5, 2012

Wow! These are amazing. The handwriting, the messages, everything about it.

Thanks for sharing!

thecollectiveedit.blogspot.com

21. ana b. March 9, 2012

Beautiful and timeless. I love how these documents are called "ephemera". There's just something about it…. I hope you (or your dad) always treasure it.