qld flood relief, shop for a cause

Hopefully everyone has already donated to the Queensland Flood Relief Appeal. However, if you haven’t yet, or are ready to make another donation, Australian jewellery designer Samantha Wills has come up with a novel way for you to do so. By simply buying a piece from her “Shop For a Cause” selection, you can contribute to the Appeal. In return, you’ll end up with one of her stunning pieces. If you are not familiar with Wills’ work, her designs are favoured by the likes of Drew Barrymore, Kate Bosworth and Kate Hudson. $20 from every selected piece sold will be donated to the appeal. To encourage more people to donate, selected products will be discounted by a further 30%. The sale will last for four days with hopes of raising at least $10 000. Below are just a few of my picks from the selection.
Thanks to all those who expressed their concern about the floods in the last post. Luckily, I am safe and sound, and well away from the worst of it (although I just heard on the news that they opened a Flood Evacuation Centre down the road from where I live). My brother lives in West End (one of the suburbs hit hard by the floods) but his house is safe, still has electricity, and is seemingly unaffected by all of it. He has been updating me though and everything just sounds crazy. It’s as if the whole city is on stand by. My grandma and aunty live in Toowoomba, where all that footage of the “inland tsunami” came from, but they too are safe and sound. It’s crazy to think how lucky we are. Some of the stories coming out are absolutely devastating. It’s also quite bizarre to see footage of all my favourite and familiar suburbs completely submerged. So once again, if you’d like to donate, there are several options available. You can shop for a cause and buy some jewellery, or donate directly to the appeal. The links for both can be found below.

1. skeletaldreams January 13, 2011

it's such a terrible thing that has happened, and it's going to take a long time for queensland to get back to how it used to be. it's horrendous. my heart goes out for every one affected.
    this shop for a cause is a great idea!
    xo

2. C. January 13, 2011

Wow, that's great. Samantha Willis jewelry is gorgeous. It's so upsetting what is going on, but it's nice to see how generous people are when it comes to tough times.

3. sojourned in style January 13, 2011

her jewlerry is stuning and for such a great cause to top it off, makes it that much more beautfiul. i hope the floods cause no more damage and that everyone is okay.

4. Asteria January 13, 2011

glad to hear that you and your loved ones are okay. A friend of mine lives in Gold Coast (she's fine), but there's another one that's currently on her summer vacation back home in Brisbane and I'm still waiting for her news. Let's all hope and pray that this will be over soon.

5. Ally,The Vintage Valley January 13, 2011

Its so great Samantha Wills is doing that, it really is so awful i cant turn on the TV without crying…glad to hear you and your family are safe XX

6. Sofie January 13, 2011

I have a lot of family in Queensland and I was born in Brisbane so my heart goes out to everyone affected by the floods ๐Ÿ™ I'm so glad to hear you and your family are okay โ™ก

7. Mez January 13, 2011

Firstly, so, so glad you are ok. These floods have really made an impact on our country. It's great to see stores, designers etc getting into the spirit of charity. I've organized a gold coin donation morning tea at work, I hope lots of people come!

8. soph (owl vs. dove) January 13, 2011

@skeletaldreams: you're right. But the resolve of the people of QLD is quite amazing right now. I think it'll get us through the worst of it.

@C: It's certainly heart warming to see that everybody is trying to do their bit to help, in any way possible.

@sojournedinstyle: that's a nice sentiment about the beauty being in the meaning on the jewellery! the floods are receding but I think it will still be some time before things get back to "normal"

@Asteria: I hope your friend is ok!

@Ally: the rolling news coverage here is crazy. On one side, I want to be kept updated, but on the other side, I can't handle seeing all devastating footage and stories that go with it. Heartbreaking stuff.

@Sofie: Thank you. I hope all your QLD relatives are safe!

@Mez: that morning tea is such a good idea! I'm sure you'll get a good sized crowd ๐Ÿ™‚

9. muchlove January 13, 2011

I'm so glad to hear that you and your family are okay. I used to live in Brisbane, and it's so crazy seeing the flood news. Hope things will get better very very soon.

10. My name is Renรฉe. January 13, 2011

I went a couple of years ago to Brisbane, it's so incredible to see the flood news! Glad to hear you are okay ๐Ÿ™‚

11. little shadow January 13, 2011

Such a lovely idea x

12. Twobreadsplease January 13, 2011

i'm so glad you and your family are safe, hope it stays that way! this is such a good idea, the jewellery is beautiful, i hope people decide to buy and help the cause! x

13. Sick by Trend January 13, 2011

Love these!! are so beautiful! and thanks for sharing the sales!! ๐Ÿ™‚ im a new follower!

Look my blog and if you like it, follow me

sBt

14. sbot January 14, 2011

Cool beetle pin!

Im your newest follower, hope youll follow me too : )

-Stephanie

15. Charleston January 14, 2011

seriously unique jewellery

16. Jane January 14, 2011

Glad you and your family are okay!

It's so freaky seeing pictures of the affected areas and hearing about how Brisbane has come to a total standstill.

17. NRC January 14, 2011

Love the piece on the right.
    Glad you and your family are safe and sound

18. THats wonderful that everyone is safe in your family and there is a way to help the people who have been affected (this is a little politically incorrect, but some times there seems to be such little attention paid to disasters in non-third world countries).

19. Amber January 14, 2011

It's so sad that this is happening ๐Ÿ™ It's really scary. I'm glad everyone on your end is safe.

I wish I could do more to help!

20. the moonchild January 14, 2011

definitely a good cause. and it's so close to home ๐Ÿ™

hope you can:

send something to salvador (:
    http://dearsalvador.blogspot.com [new blog]

or just come by the moonchild's:

rena. (:

21. Cassandra January 14, 2011

really pretty jewelry!

22. Whoop it up! January 14, 2011

great blog!!! we follow u :*

feel free to visit ๐Ÿ™‚

xx, tany

23. Stacy January 20, 2011

I'm glad to hear you and your family are safe. We saw the horrible sights on the news up here in Canada every day.

24. soph (owl vs. dove) January 21, 2011

thanks again everyone for the concern.

@sbot @Whoopitup: thanks for following.