the hat dilemma

Sportsgirl hat | Old t-shirt | thrifted skirt | vintage bag | cream patent flats (not shown)
I really would like to wear hats more often, but I’m always faced with the dilemma of constantly having to take them off when I go indoors. I’ve always followed the “hats off indoors” rule* so every time I see someone wear a hat inside I can’t help but get annoyed. Which is why every time I enter a building I’m always left in the situation of awkwardly carrying my hat around. This felt one is not too bad because I can stuff it in my bag, but other times it’s not as easy. So what do all you hat wearing folk do? Only wear hats when you know you’ll exclusively be spending the day outdoors? Just deal with awkwardly carrying your hat around indoors? Or do you just leave them on at all times? Please share your secrets because hat etiquette confuses me to no end.
*and who could forget the “no hat, no play” rule? Ah, the bane of Australian school children everywhere.

1. Kennedy November 17, 2010

that is the perfect length skirt and yes you should wear hats all the time! they look wonderful on you <3

2. ching November 17, 2010

my parents thinks it's rude to wear hats indoors. they'll be saying.. 'don't you trust the roof?'

3. gee November 17, 2010

oh i love hats and you look wonderful in them..
    but my head was not made for them..so sad.
    that skirt is the perfect length on you.
    so so lovely.
    xoox

4. Megan November 18, 2010

Oh I am a rude person and leave my hat on indoors if I commit to the hat it has to stay on – I get really bad hat hair. It depends on where I am going though if it somewhere formal or a place of respect I wouldnt leave it on. I love Chings comment.

5. josephine November 18, 2010

Yes, i have that too, the no hats allowed indoors rule. I hate that rule, i have plenty of hats waiting to be worn but half the time, I can't wear then because it won't even last a second in my school.

6. A Little Brighter November 18, 2010

Oh you look perfect in hats! They seriously look wonderful and I'm awkward sometimes when I wear them too. I make a rule that I only have to take it off if I am having dinner or going to an 'older' persons home who won't quite understand πŸ˜€

Ayesha x

7. head over heels November 18, 2010

i never ever wear hats (although i wish i did!) and if i did i would probably leave it on indoors. Anyway love your hat and bag πŸ™‚ x

8. Marinka November 18, 2010

Your skirt is really nice I think its the perfect lenght ! ^^ I like your hat too πŸ™‚

9. Brittany November 18, 2010

I always look at it as–guys should take off their hats and not women, its not like we're wearing baseball caps! I love your hat and your pleated skirt!

10. Ally,The Vintage Valley November 18, 2010

Id say hats indoors..if its a small one πŸ™‚ i mean its a complete outfit haha!!!! ahhh the no hat no play rule haha good old aussie sun xx

11. ana b. November 18, 2010

Definitely take the hat off indoors. A new girl at my office came in on casual Friday with a bowler hat and left it on the whole day. I think she'd have run out of the building crying if she'd heard all the jokes people were making about her πŸ™ So I think the awkwardness of carrying it around is worth it. It's like people who wear sunglasses indoors.

12. Jessica November 18, 2010

this outfit is my favorite!
    i love the color combination, simple yet effortlessly chic!
    and for the hat etiquette, i have to say it does confuse me at all. i am a person who constantly feels uncomfortable when wearing hat indoor.
    but all i wanna do is forget the etiquette. come one we are in 2010. wearing hats indoor is legal πŸ™‚

13. Hannah November 18, 2010

I literally just solved this dilemma the other day!
    My solution: I bought a hat that I can kind of 'fold', it looks like straw-ish, but I think it's plastic-y. It's a bucket type hat from Rubi shoes. I can't describe it really well, but it's awesome. I'll try to take a photo of it soon. Then I just put it in my bag while indoors.
    I def need a hat though since summer is all like, 'hi and stuff' πŸ˜›
    And who can forget 'IF YOU GO IN THE SUN YOU WILL GET SKIN CANCER!', not me.
    Fun fact: A full vitamin D dose in Brisbane needs only 5 mins in the sun, but up to 20 in Melbourne.

14. Vicky November 18, 2010

Gorgeous outfit. Love the muted colours, and that skirt is just lovely.
    I'm not really a hat person, but if I was wearing a hat, I'd probably leave it on, to avoid the whole hat hair situation. But I remember from wearing my beret last year, I only took it off if I was staying wherever it was for a bit, ie. college, or my boyfriend's/friend's house x

15. rosanguyen November 18, 2010

I know what tyou mean! I also hate taking my hat off when it suddenly becomes windy. Not that I could not hold it down on my head, but it was more of hassel leaving it on.

16. soph (owl vs. dove) November 18, 2010

@kennedy: thank you

@Ching: your parents are awesome, that's hilarious.

@gee: oh don't worry, my head doesn't agree with some hats. But I make them fit!

@Megan: I like the idea of a commitment. I agree with the formal place thing. It's more things like cafes and stuff that I'm not too sure on.

@josephine: bummer!

@ALittleBrighter: I might follow your lead. I get the 'older' person thing too. I'm afraid I'll get the "oh the youth of today, don't show respect" look.

@headoverheels: thanks! And thanks for the input too.

@Marinka: thank you.

@Brittany: thanks for the tip! After reading all the hat etiquette I'm definitely for the males taking their hats off while women keep them on angle.

@Ally: the size and style definitely plays a part. A floppy straw sun hat would definitely be coming off indoors I think!

@anab: Oh how horrible for the new girl! I like your sunglasses comparison too haha.

@Jessica: thanks. I know! I tried wearing it indoors one time, but my conscience (or years of conditioning) got the better of me.

@Hannah: perfect timing! Sounds like a good plan. That vitamin D fact is crazy town. Makes me cringe at all the time I spend in the sun.

@Vicky: Hat hair is definitely another element to take into consideration. Sigh. I don't think I'm every going to figure this out haha

17. WENDY November 18, 2010

I feel you mainly becos, the after effects of wearing hat, makes my hair flat and having to take them off indoors, made me gave up on wearing one. But seriously, the outfit combo here is just perfect πŸ™‚ Love it, the skirt especially.

18. Rachelous November 18, 2010

It's a bit of a conundrum! I think it also depends on the type of hat but you'll always get people who think you should take it off.. although I don't think it's as bad as leaving sunglasses on indoors which comes across quite poser-y. Anyway, this one looks perfect on you! And the skirt is lovely, the pleats especially.. x

19. muchlove November 18, 2010

i love your bag and your hat! i would love to wear a hat more often (or, ever).. I always feel awkward with on one because I'm not used to it.

20. Louder Than Silence November 18, 2010

Oh I love your look Soph – I'm, a big fan of hats but know what you mean about taking them off indoors. Sometimes I'll risk looking impolite by keeping my hat on, but most of the time I end up taking it off to reveal dodgy hat hair. You can't win πŸ™

Sally x

21. bee. November 18, 2010

You pull the hat look off really well (: Mmm, the whole indoors thing is a complete dilemma because it always leaves me with horrendous hat hair :/ If I'm out for a meal I'll take it off but if I'm at a place like a museum I'll keep it on.

22. vint junky November 19, 2010

I love my hats, and i don't take them off indoors.
    Mainly the reason is hat hair! I've short locks and if i wear a hat for longer then 30 mins, my hair is shocking :/
    This fedora is great on you

23. Original Number November 19, 2010

Your outfit is too cute!! πŸ™‚

originalnumber.blogspot.com

24. Chelsea Lane November 19, 2010

this skirt is to die for! In all honesty, I don't wear hats. so there's my etiquette. I wish I did though, I would love to become a hat person πŸ™‚

xoxo

25. lesdeux November 19, 2010

ahh love your pleated skirt πŸ™‚ I saw a similar navy one (but shorter) just recently on Topshop but it was way too see through for my liking…

In any case, hats are awesome but I have the same sentiment of awkwardness of being indoor and taking it off – like with the sunglasses and being indoors look too, I feel self-conscious and too Anna Wintour-ish hehe xx

26. Flea For Fashion November 19, 2010

i really like your style! that bag is perfect!

27. size too small November 19, 2010

i kind of agree with the no hats indoor rule. maybe just wear when you know you'll be walking around outside mostly? cute look, though.

28. chantelle November 20, 2010

sophie, dear! how have you been?! it's been such a long time since i've had the chance to visit your beautiful blog! i'm in utter love with your vintage bag, it's so perfect β™₯ and i adore this hat of yours πŸ™‚ the one in your profile photo is lovely too! <3

29. Ella November 20, 2010

i wish i could pull of a hat like that, though i'd probably end up looking like a 64 year old man! πŸ™‚

30. sherryl November 20, 2010

that's a terribly lovely skirt. i love dark greens with a cremey-beige-brown color. it just works so well! i love that bag also.

31. manna November 20, 2010

who cares about social ettiquete/obligations. wear your hat where/whenever you please.

32. Jinling Jade November 20, 2010

love the hat and i am just as confused as you are on the issue, though i would love just wearing my hats everywhere…

xx.

33. Lina November 20, 2010

love your look πŸ™‚ the bag it's amazing!

visit my blog πŸ™‚
    frenchwingss.blogspot.com
    X

34. Miranda November 20, 2010

Thank you!
    I never wear hats they make me feel weird 😑
    But your bag is lovely!

35. Mystery Bruises November 21, 2010

loovee this whole outfit, especially the hat! it looks great on you!

36. Harlow November 21, 2010

You look fab!
    I think it kind of depends on the type of hat it is. I would wear a beret inside but I'm not so sure about other kinds.
    And I hated 'no hat no play' – I was such a forgetful kid!

37. alishayi November 21, 2010

this is such a darling outfit x

38. Violetta E. November 22, 2010

love it dear.

39. Kaisha November 23, 2010

"No Hat No Play" was seriously the saddest point in primary school. I lost my hat one day, and never had the nerve to tell my parents of my irresponsibility. It was probably the best thing that happened though. It meant that each and every lunch time was spent in the library instead.

Love your skirt!!!

40. Kim November 24, 2010

What a perfect skirt! I myself only wear my bowler hat when I know I'm going to be spending the day outdoors (when I'm going shopping for example!) but if I do go indoors I can't be bothered to take it off. I also wear a lot of berets, they're perfect for wearing indoors!

Much love xx