hyperreal

Last week I went and saw the Ron Mueck exhibit at the Gallery of Modern Art. I’ve long been fascinated by Ron Mueck’s works so I was chuffed when I heard his exhibition was coming to GoMA. If you’ve never heard of Ron Mueck before, he is a hyperrealist sculptor and his works are nothing short of amazing. They range from larger than life sculptures to more minute, delicate pieces. The attention to detail in his works is spectacular, and the scale of some of his sculptures only intensifies the viewing experience. If you’re in Brisbane, I recommend you go check it out.

The above sculpture, entitled A Girl, is 5 metres long. Biggest baby I’ve ever seen. I took this photo on my phone. They allowed non-flash photography, but as my luck would have it I didn’t have my good camera on me. I did have my Diana Mini though, and I played around with that, so fingers crossed those photos turn out well!

1. I'd love to see his works. I've seen works by a similar artist 'Patricia Piccinni' they were so real it was scary.

2. Joellen May 18, 2010

We both recently went to Modern Art exhibits! I will def. be looking up more of his work, the above piece is so intriguing!

joellenlove.blogspot.com

3. Amy Antlers May 18, 2010

Whoa, freaky giant baby. I love GOMA a little too much, will definitely have to see this exhibit!

4. .simply.life. May 18, 2010

wow, very interesting!

5. Sarah J May 18, 2010

some of my friends visited the exhibition in Melbourne. Wonderfully creepy stuff. I loved the ones of the old women myself.

6. Kallie May 18, 2010

I had never heard of him before, but I google-image searched some of his work..wow! I'm very intrigued. thanks for the tip!

7. Raez May 19, 2010

wow! really sweet. I've heard about his work, I'd really love to see more of it.

xx raez

8. emma j May 19, 2010

i always say I've got to go to art galleries more often i really enjoy it when i go ๐Ÿ™‚

9. hannah May 19, 2010

i've seen some of his work! sort of creepy and too life like, but amazing.

10. danica May 19, 2010

awesome! i'll be visiting brisbane in july so i am looking forward to seeing this exhibition. i don't suppose you have any other brisbane tips? it's been a long time since i've been there and would love to know where i should stop by…

๐Ÿ™‚

11. Julia May 19, 2010

Terribly interesting! I've never heard of him but I must get on this — this is exactly what I love about life; you know, that this stuff exists and I can now go immerse myself in it. Thanks for sharing!

12. Helen May 19, 2010

Thanks for the reco, I'll definitely check it out. Your blog is always so informative and inspiring! Keep it up ๐Ÿ™‚

13. Becca Jane May 19, 2010

He is such an amazing artist. "The girl" – the massive baby, was on display, and I think might even have been a donation to the National Gallery in Ottawa which is where I first encountered his work. So amazing but slightly disconcerting at the same time.

14. manna May 21, 2010

saw the Ron Mueck exhibition at NGV in melbourne! So amazing, there were so many people i wanted to go again, but alas it's gone! my favourite piece was the one.. i forget the name.. of the little old woman curled up in a blanket… and the chicken.

15. Mary May 21, 2010

Wow, it's grotesque but beautiful as well. There is so much detail in the sculptures!

That's nice of GoMA to let you take photos, the MCA in Sydney doesn't. Boo.