I recently bought a new bedspread, in a taupe colour (I decided that I’d had enough of stripes and brights). Now, while it’s all very soft and serene, it’s still a bit dull. A bit too beige. So I decided that I’d jazz it up by adding some complementing cushions. Dilemma: cushions can be expensive. And the ones I end up liking best are usually sold for extortionist prices. Then I remembered that my mum has several containers full of sample and scrap materials. So I decided to get crafty and make my own cushions.
Narrowing down the possible colour combinations. Making the cushions was quite simple . They were all square samples and came with matching ‘plain’ squares, which I used as the backing. It was all very convenient. All that was involved was sewing the edges together (leaving a gap to put the filling in), turning the thing inside out (make sure that the ‘right’ sides are facing each other before you sew the edges), adding the filling (which I used from old cushions), and then sewing it all up. When they need a wash I’ll just unpick one side and take out the filling. My philosophy at the time was “I’ll worry about that later”.
The end result. They’re a still a bit lumpy. I’ve been trying to mould them so they’re not as lumpy, but I guess that will all happen in time. They were so easy to make that I’m tempted to make a few more!