100g unsalted butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 1/4 cups self-raising flour, sifted
2 tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted
1/4 cup milk
75 unsalted butter, softened
1 cup icing sugar mixture, sifted
1 teaspoon coffee essence (I didn’t have any so I just used some instant coffee mixed in a bit of hot water)
chocolate sprinkles, to decorate
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius/160 degrees celsius fan-forced.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat butter, vanilla and sugar in a small bowl until light and fluffy.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
4. Add cocoa to flour.
5. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Stir in half the flour mixture. Stir in half the milk. Repeat with the remaining flour and milk until combined.
6. Spoon into prepared pan. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Stand cakes in pans for 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Using an electric mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in icing sugar until smoot. Beat in coffee essence. *Spoon mixture into a snap-lock bag. Snip a 1cm triangle from one corner of the bag. Pipe mixture over cakes. Decorate with sprinkles. Serve.
*I just used a knife to spread the icing over the cupcakes – a lot less hassle ðŸ™‚